Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What would William F. Buckley, Jr. say?

"Back in the thirties we were told we must collectivize the nation because the people are poor. Now we are told we must collectivize the nation because the people are so rich."
William F. Buckley, Jr.

One of the most influential and prominent figures in the conservative movement was William F. Buckley, Jr. (1925-2008) He started National review in 1955 and hosted over 1400 episodes of Firing Line. He was an author of 50+ books. He was a nationally synicated journalist. He served in the Army and CIA. Also, he ran unsuccessfully for Mayor of New York City twice. This is only a small snapshot of his accomplishments.
I am not an expert on William F. Buckley, Jr. although I think he was by far, one of the most intellectual debaters I have ever heard. Quite frankly, I loved to hear him speak. I am still attempting to learn the meanings of some of the words he used. He had total command of the english language.
Having said that, what would he be talking about at this time in politics? It is in my opinion, he would be speaking out loudly and often against the Obama administration. Mr.Buckley loved and appreciated this country and realized the exceptionalism of it's people. He believed in a small government and allowing the private sector to grow our economy. Healthcare, immigration and the nationalism of industry would have him in an uproar burning up the newspapers and a main focus of National review. I guess in a sense, I am looking for a replacement for Bill Buckley. I don't see anyone that remotely has the wit, intellect and erudition of a man of his character. I don't see a Republican politician that could come near Mr. Buckley, nor anyone in the private sector. The Republican party has become a bunch of McCain type whimps. I've received many emails with strong conservative based writings by Lee Iococca, Bill Cosby and Charley Daniels.
I know those three are very different people, however, they are patriotic Americans and they are fed up with the path of the country's idealogy and economy. Talk radio is growing by leaps and bounds because the talk show hosts are not afraid to tell it like it is. I believe Conservatives are looking to the Limbaughs, Hannitys, Ingrahams and Levins because no one has stepped up to the plate. I don't consider myself a Republican anymore. I am a Conservative. I pray to the Lord above (sorry, that is not allowed anymore) that someone emerges as the Wiiliam F. Buckley, Jr. conservative. That person would ascend quickly to the top of the Conservative party. I hope that person materializes soon.




1 comment:

  1. I recall Mr. Buckley saying that it is ridiculous to have companies and businesses to pay for health care. Now, no matter what product you buy, a significant part of the price of everything is the cost of health care. He would jump at the opportunity to remove that from law.

    ReplyDelete